Seeing as the point of the blogging exercise was to say a little about myself, I felt I should write another posting this evening. Before long I will be a blogging fanatic at this rate!
Well I am Lindsey and I work as an Educational Technologist at the University of Portsmouth on the sunny (!) South Coast. It hasn't been particularly sunny over the last few days as we've been under the snow like everyone else in the country. I love snow though so no problem for me.
My job as Educational Technologist has a few different types of work involved, though mostly they fall under the umbrella of supporting the academic staff in their use of the VLE. We use Blackboard at Portsmouth, just like Brookes Virtual, so everything looks very familiar. A typical day at work for me would involve answering a few emails and telephone calls from staff who are trying to achieve something on the VLE but can't quite work out how, or who are experiencing technical problems through no fault of their own - sadly the latter is all too common...one of the disadvantages of elearning. I am also responsible for training staff to use the VLE, both in group workshops and one-to-one. In addition to this, I take on projects from individuals and departments to put materials into the online format. Examples of these are converting course materials into designed webpages, creating course structure within the VLE and making up icons so that the pages look a bit more 'designed'.
As you can see from above, my job is very much on the support side, which leaves me a little lacking on the pedagogical side. This is why I wanted to take this course. I wanted to find out what elearning other people are doing with their students in other institutions. I want to experience first hand what it is like to be a student online so that I can take away with me what works.
Outside of work I live in Godalming near Guildford in Surrey with my boyfriend Paul. It's a bit of a commute to work, but I'm able to work at home occasionally and am lucky enough to be able to share a lift with a lecturer who lives just down the road. We have a pet house rabbit which I'm sure most people think is a bit eccentric, but in my opinion rabbits are the perfect house pets - they make no noise, little mess, and are very friendly and docile. The only downside is the chewing - at the last count he'd been through two laptop cables and a rug...but we love him to bits!
So that is me in a nutshell. Bye!
Thursday, 5 February 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Lindsey,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blogs. It is a good way of establishing that we aren't really that different. All of us can be apprehensive and a bit cowed by the experience of elearning. Keep the blogs rolling!!
Joseph